Monday 21 November 2011

END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Through this module I have gained and extended my knowledge of typography learning what works well with what and the reasons behind it. I feel more confident using typography and also more confident in creating my own typefaces. I have learnt to be more selective with my work through constraints such as just having two colours this put a block on the work I was doing making me be more selective and minimalist with my work and making it look just as striking with these constraints. In this same way I have also developed my awareness and understanding of how Important stock is in terms of how well it works with the brief and overall finish, also how colour interoperates from the computer screen, to printer, to various stocks. From looking at illustrator I feel I have developed skills there as I was able to create a type face and typographic poster although I still feel I have more room to improve my illustrator skills. I have also from doing the proverbially yours briefs been able to develop my understanding of how important message is and how to put across the message in ways that the audience will recognise.

2. What approaches to/methods of idea generation have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have begun using design sheets, which I have not before, to start off with I found it hard put my ideas on such large open pieces of paper but throughout this module I have realised the importance of design sheets, they able you to look clearly at your body of work and ideas which then will benefit your final outcome as you can see the whole picture. It also make you not be as precious with how you apply your first ideas so you can generate more in short time and be more free. I feel my crits have informed and helped the development of my work in a big way, from having an outside eye look in it allows me learn things about my work that i have not spotted or further ways in which I can develop my work.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have / will you capitalise on these?

The strengths I can identify in my work are that I have been able to take a brief and come up with an outcome to match, I also feel the ideas I have generated have been interesting and visually pleasing. I will capitalise on this by continuing to inform myself of visually stimulating work so that I continue to have fresh ideas. I will capitalise on meeting briefs by always referring back to them to make sure I do not sway off track.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in future?

I feel that in my work I will have to become more accurate in the way of making sure measurements are correct and also pay more attention to imperfections on work such as marks or a letter being out of place etc. I will address this in the future by asking people to look at my work and give it a check and then check it myself and eventually become more self aware of these things.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

- The first thing I would do differently is make sure I ask more questions if I feel I may be veering off the brief instead of getting to the crit realising and having to start over. By doing this I will save time and by doing that create more time to develop ideas thus improving final outcome.

- Interact with blog more. I can fully see why and how the blog is so important for developing ideas and as a reference and so for next time I want to take full opportunity of it so I can benefit from it to the maximum.

- Research more into designers which could influence work on brief. By doing this it would broaden my knowledge and therefore able me to be inspired more and create more. I will do this by using the library more as well as the Internet.

- I will re visit projects once finished and I have crit feedback. I think this is a really useful thing to do as it will able me to learn about noticing thing about my work that i could change/ devlop and compare my work from before and after.

- experiment more with stocks or colours or types etc. I feel there is always room for more experimentation as it is the way you will learn what works and what does not. From Doing more experimentation I will know that what I choose for my final outcome is the very best.



No comments:

Post a Comment