Thursday 11 April 2013

RESPONSIVE : BRIEF - LCA christmas card

Brief :


Key words :











Concept 1 :



Something that is very unique to our college is the mosaic, so I want to look closely at it and see if there is anything I can work with to create a christmas card from LCA.




From looking at the mosaic I noticed the reefs, which obviously in the mosaic concept do not symbolise christmas, they are typically christmas decorations today. The layout of leeds college of art also reminds me a lot of the base of a christmas tress. There are many things within in this mosaic that could be used.




Since the Leeds college of Art layout form the base of a christmas tree, I need an angel or golden star to go on top of the tree, so what better then the golden owls of leeds. Which are unique to Leeds which goes with the theme of the card.





This is a colour swatch from the mosaic it features the classic christmas red and green and a very golden yellow which is perfect for the concept of creating a Christmas card from the mosaic.


Concept 2 :

Creating a snowman out of tea / coffee rings. This is a concept that would be good for a chirstmas card for the BAGD side of the college as I know how dependant and in love with tea and coffee people on the course are, but as I don't know about everyone else in the college or other departments, this card wouldn't work, so I have decided to go with the concept of creating a christmas card inspired by the mosaic.





Design work :




These are the drawings for the card. The Leeds college of art logo and reef have been directly traced so that they are recognisable from the mosaic. It is not a quick connection that people will make but it will give them that ''ah ha' moment when they realise which is always a nice thing.






For the colours I have used the swatch from the mosaic so that they match up, for the fill colour I have used a weaker opacity of that same colour. From the four variations above I prefer the look of the filled colour version, it adds a stronger feel to the image, but I do like the black boarder around the tree, so I will incorporate this. I have chosen to leave off the message from the front as it disrupts the layout of the tree, and I also feel its nicer to have a message on the inside and will save someone having to write it on the inside.





As well as a card the design could also be applied to gift tags for the college to give gifts.



No comments:

Post a Comment